The Athena SWAN awards recognise and celebrate good practice on recruiting, retaining and promoting women in science, engineering and technology (SET) in higher education.
The School of Mechanical Aerospace and Civil Engineering is demonstrating its commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, engineering and technology in higher education and research by working toward an Athena SWAN accreditation.
To achieve this award, the School is:
- developing an understanding of its current policies, practices and culture
- aiming to provide positive support for women at key points in their careers
- improving culture and gender balance in its decision-making
- improving practices that support work-life balance for all staff
Achieving the accreditation will show that the School:
- takes care to attract, retain and recognise talent
- supports women, especially at key career transition points
- promotes and enables its academic and research staff to achieve a work-life balance
- the actively works to achieve equality and to engage women in leadership and decision-making