We have a range of CNC machine tools both cover machining at conventional speeds and high speed machining. Our analytical facilities are world class and situated in the Laser Processing Research Centre, the Photon Science Institute and the School of Materials. In addition we have the essential instrumentation for collecting the vital signals that are required in developing machining science and characterising the machining processes. These signals could be cutting forces, acoustic emission and temperatures.
- Working Spindle has a maximum RPM of 42000, uses HSK-E40 has maximum power of 13.5 kW and torque of 8.8Nm.
- The maximum X, Y, Z axes travel is 500 x 450 x 360 mm
- The rapid feedrate in X, Y, Z axes is 60 m/min
- The maximum work table load is 120 kg
- The Control unit Heidenhain iTNC 530
Applications of the Mikron HSM 400 and other CNC Machines
We undertake basis machining science research and technology development for companies using the Mikron HSM 400. This covers:
- micro milling,
- micro drilling,
- high speed milling,
- high performance milling
- conventional milling.
We may not solve all your industrial problems but we aim to inspire you and your staff to find a sustainable solution.
- We have particular expertise in machining of aerospace alloys and mould and die materials.
- We work with companies to develop machinibility data for new materials, to evaluate and down select cutting tools, to develop new bespoke coated and uncoated tools, to train engineers on advanced machining technology and to support major government and industry funded machining projects.
- We have particular interest and expertise on ways to extend tool life, ways to reduce machine dry or under minimum quantity lubricant.
- We have particular expertise in drilling small holes that are less than one millimetre is diameter in all kinds of challenging workpiece materials.
- We utilise our knowledge of machining science to develop machinibility solutions for industry and give then new capability.