Frequently asked questions

Q. What are the fees for overseas and home students?
A. Further information about fees can be found by searching for the programme you wish to apply for on the Choosing a research degree page.


Q. How long does the application procedure take?
A. When you submit your application it is first received by Student Recruitment and Admissions who assign you with a student ID number. Your application is then passed to the School for consideration.

When the School receives your application it is circulated to our academics to identify a suitable supervisor. If an applicant has already contacted a supervisor, the relevant academic will be contacted to confirm that they wish to supervise the project. Once the research title and supervisor are confirmed an offer letter will be sent to you.

The whole process may take between one to four weeks.


Q. What are the start dates for the PG Research Programmes?
For MPhil and PhD Programmes start dates are January, April, July and September.


Q. What is the closing date for applications?
A.There is no closing date for applications as we accept applications throughout the year. However, you should be mindful that funded studentships do have deadlines and you usually need an academic offer of a place on the programme to be eligible to be considered for funding.


Q. I am unable to send my references with my application - should I hold back sending my application until I get my references?
A.You may submit your application first and then forward your reference to us at a later date and we will link them to your application for you.


Q. I am confused by the term degree classification can you explain this to me please?
A.Degree classification means the grade of your previous degree i.e. 1st (First Class), 2i (Upper Second Class), 2ii (Lower Second Class), etc.


Q. Do I need an IELTS qualifcation?
A.Only those students whose first language is not English and whose first degree was not conducted in English are required to provide evidence of English Language proficiency. Certificates must be provided for any English Language qualifications obtained. These should be submitted with your application.

The following English Language Qualifications are recognised by the University for entry to all MACE Research programmes:

  • IBT TOEFL greater than or equal to 90 (with a score of 20 or higher for the Speaking component and scores of 18 or higher for other components)
  • IELTS greater than or equal to 6.5 (with no component scores below 5.5)
  • Other English Language qualifications/tests can be considered including some of those offered by the University's Language Centre


Q. Will I qualify for a scholarship/bursary from your university?
A. Details on available Scholarship and funding opportunities are available at Research Funding


Q. How easy is it to obtain accommodation?
A.There are various types of accommodation in Manchester. You can either apply for accommodation via our Accommodation Office or alternatively rent one of the many houses available to students. Further details are available at the Accommodation website.


Q. When will I receive information about registration?
A.You will be contacted by email approximately one month before you are due to register.


If you have any further questions please email your question to

▲ Up to the top