The additive and shaping processes team specialises in functional prototyping and layered manufacturing via the laser direct metal deposition (powder fusion) and wire deposition processes.
The team is currently working under EPSRC and EU FP6 grants to model microstructure and stress control in LDMD, develop wire deposition and coincident wire-powder processes and examining ways of improving the efficiency of the LDMD technique both as a manufacturing and repair tool.
A completed project has also examined laser-induced stress forming of pipes and ways of optimising it through scan strategy.
- Dr Wei Wang
- Dr A.M. Kamara
- Mr Jonathan Blackburn
- Mr Wei Wang
- Mr Kamran Shah
- Miss Hui-chi Chen
- Mr Ramadan Eghlio
- Mr Richard Moat
- Mr Muhammed Naveed Ahsan
Over forty academic papers have been published in this field in the last four years and successful projects with Rolls-Royce and smaller companies have resulted.
- Yu Gu, Changsheng Dong, Minlin Zhong, Mingxing Ma, Lin Li and Wenjin Liu. Fabrication of nanoporous manganese by laser cladding and selective electrochemical de-alloying. APPLIED SURFACE SCIENCE, 257(8):3211-3215, 2011, ISSN: 0169-4332, DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2010.09.118
- Hui-Chi Chen, Andrew J. Pinkerton and Lin Li. Fibre laser welding of dissimilar alloys of Ti-6Al-4V and Inconel 718 for aerospace applications. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADVANCED MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY, 52(9-12):977-987, 2011, ISSN: 0268-3768, DOI: 10.1007/s00170-010-2791-3
- A. M. Kamara, W. Wang, S. Marimuthu and L. Li. Modelling of the melt pool geometry in the laser deposition of nickel alloys using the anisotropic enhanced thermal conductivity approach. PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART B-JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MANUFACTURE, 225(B1, Sp. Iss. SI):87-99, 2011, ISSN: 0954-4054, DOI: 10.1177/09544054JEM2129
- L. Li Laser net-shape welding, September 2010
- J. Blackburn, C. Allen, P. Hilton and L. Li. Nd:YAG laser welding of titanium alloys using a directed gas jet, Journal of Laser Applications, 22(2):71-78, May 2010, DOI: 10.2351/1.3455825, http://jla.aip.org/resour...i2/p71_s1?isAuthorized=no