Mechanical Engineering PhD
View tabbed content | View all content (for printing)
Degree awarded: Doctor of Philosophy
Duration: 36 Months [Full-Time] / 72 Months [Part-Time]
The minimum academic entry requirements for a Doctorate programme are either:
i) a First class UK Honours degree in a discipline directly relevant to the PhD
ii) an undergraduate degree at 2:1 or above and Masters award at Merit level in a discipline directly relevant to the PhD, or equivalent international qualifications
Contact telephone: +44 (0)161 275 4345
- Online Application Form in which you should include details of your previous study, your research project title and the name of the academic member of staff you would like to supervise your research.
- Degree certificates and academic transcripts of previous university study. If your transcripts and certificates are in a language other than English, you must also provide an official translation.
- C.V. summarising your academic record and highlighting experience that demonstrates your capacity to conduct research.
- Research Proposal outlining your research project. This should include the title of the project, objectives of the research, methodology you will employ, a literature review, demonstration of your ability to conduct this research and the importance of this research.
Once we have received this documentation and if your qualifications meet our academic entry requirements, your application material will then be sent to your potential supervisor for consideration.
If the academic supervisor is interested in supervising your research, they will contact you to arrange an interview either in person or by Skype/telephone. The supervisor can then decide whether they wish to make you an offer of a place on the programme.
If your application is successful at this stage, we can issue a formal offer letter and request any additional documentation that is required, including:
- English Language qualification (if applicable) - IELTS greater than or equal to 6.5 (with no sub-test below 5.5).
- Two letters of reference provided by people who have knowledge of your academic ability. Reference letters must be written on official letter headed paper and be signed and dated by the referee (reference letters must be less than 1 year old).
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
Our postgraduate research programmes in Mechanical Engineering offer the opportunity to study in a multi-disciplinary team alongside leading academics in the field. Drawing on our expertise in advanced machining, resource efficient manufacturing, micro and nano fabrication, bio-manufacturing, laser engineering and more we deliver solutions to improve manufacturing capability, productivity, sustainability and emerging advanced technologies.
Your research will be supported by state-of-the-art computational and experimental facilities. We have strong links with industry and excellent employability.
Our Postgraduate Research Open Day is held in October. However to find out more about the School we would encourage you to take an online tour of our facilities and hear from some of our current students and staff on our Virtual Open Day .
If you have any other questions about the School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering , please do not hesitate to contact us at: email@example.com
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2018, the tuition fees are as follows:
- PhD (full-time)
UK/EU students (per annum): £4,260
International students (per annum): Standard £22,000, Band 1 £23,000, Band 2 £26,000
- PhD (part-time)
UK/EU students (per annum): £2,130
Please note for the majority of projects where experimentation requires further resource: higher fee bands (where quoted) will be charged rather than the base rate for supervision, administration and computational costs. The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive and, therefore, you will not be required to pay any additional bench fees or administration costs.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of the course for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees or contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your project.