Impact and explosion facilities
Our labs are equipped with a range of advanced facilities that enable us to model experimental simulations of impact and explosive scenarios.
We have a range of drop hammers up to impact velocity of 10m/s, impactor mass of 150kg and impact energy of 8kJ.
Explosion containment vessels up to 30g TNT for spalling/scabbing tests.
- Single-stage, high-pressure gas gun facilities (23mm-60mm calibre) for penetration and perforation tests within impact velocity range of 50-500m/s
- Two-stage light gas gun facility up to 2km/s velocity
- ESH 200kN servo hydraulic high speed (5m/s) tensile/compressive testing machine
- Zwick 50kN servo hydraulic high speed (20 m/s) tensile test machine
- SHPB system for material dynamic property test between 100-5000 1/s strain-rate
- A range of transient digital data recorders (1MHz-1GHz) and oscilloscopes; multiple channels of strain gauge conditioning units and charge amplifier units; electro optical non-contact displacement transducer system